Hi, we’re Minjung and Richard!
We’re world travelers, entrepreneurs, photographers, and food enthusiasts from Korea and the USA.
Most importantly, we love sharing fun facts about Korea!
We made some interesting life and career choices before starting this blog.
- Born and raised in Changwon, South Korea
- Majored in Journalism at Inha University
- Studied in Hawaii and San Jose as an exchange student
- Worked in the Executive Lounge at Millennium Hilton Seoul
- Worked as a restaurant supervisor in Singapore
- Worked at a PR company in Seoul
- Worked as a project manager at the largest translation company in Korea
- Is bilingual in Korean and English
- Born and raised in California
- Has a B.A. from U.C. Irvine in Criminology, Law and Society
- Lived in South Korea for 10 years
- Worked as an actor, interviewer, marketer, and ESL teacher in Korea
- Is fluent in Korean and has taught the language to others
After all that we met, started a translation business in Seoul in 2013, made it remote in 2015, and slow-traveled the world for 8 years.
How we started our blog
While researching for translation projects, we noticed there wasn’t a lot of info on Korea. So, we began creating helpful content on our blog to promote our business.
In 2020, the pandemic cut our translation business in half and forced us to sit still for the first time in years. We used that opportunity to grow our site from a few hundred visitors a month to 80,000.
We have a simple philosophy: provide the most accurate, interesting and fun info on Korea possible.
Now we enjoy writing more than translating, so we shut down the business to do it full-time.
Our goal is to fill in the knowledge gaps about Korea in lifestyle, beauty, travel, and culture.
Things we love about Korea
- Archery cafes
- Makgeolli tasting
- Performances in Daehangno
- People watching in Itaewon
- Haeundae Beach in September
- Jeju Island anytime of year
- Cherry blossoms in Gyeongju
- Luxury noraebang in Hongdae
- Finding the best cafes in the country
- Temples and palaces off peak hours
- Being spontaneous and wandering around
- Ppyeo haejang guk (hangover stew) on Sunday morning
We hope you enjoy our site!
Minjung, Richard and the team